Home » Safety notices » Page 2

Articles related to electrical equipment safety notices mainly around portable appliance testing

Overloaded extension lead causes fire

Another report of a house fire highlights the dangers of overloading of electrical extension leads.

Fire crews in Coventry were called to a property in the city when smoke was seen coming from one of the bedrooms. Whilst the house was unoccupied at the time, a number of pet reptiles and insects kept in the bedroom perished in the blaze.

The local fire and rescue service watch commander, said: “The family’s son kept reptiles. He had snakes, tarantulas, frogs, that kind of thing. There was a lot of extension cords all going into each other.

With all the heat they just overheated. There was just too much power going through it. He has lost the majority of his pets. There is an important safety message here. What caused the fire was too much power being drawn through the extension lead.

“It’s important that people get the message that they should not overload their power supply.” Full story at www.coventrytelegraph.net

Original article on Seaward News

2021-09-04T16:55:27+00:00Safety notices|

Faulty extension leads

 Finding faulty extension leads

Faulty extension leads can be rather dangerous, so finding them is important in protecting peoples lives.

Imagine going to a well known supermarket to buy your extension leads because you think they should provide the best products only to discover they are cheaply made, high profit appliances – these leads are put together so badly that the earth leads easily drop out or snap potentially causing the appliances running off them to become live.

Do you realise how dangerous a faulty extension lead is?

If you’re running an appliance that needs to be earthed, but the earth wire in the lead isn’t connected, then the lead isn’t earthed, which means neither is the appliance. This makes the appliance ‘live’ if a fault occurs, which means if you touch any exposed metal parts you will get an electric shock.

Finding a missing earth isn’t something you will spot without opening up the plug, or when it is too late so this is why PAT Testing is so important. 

An extension lead can be dangerous in various circumstances:

  1. The main one is when it is overloaded with too many plugs, which leads to overheating and potential fires
  2. Another could be when it’s on a cable reel and hasn’t been unwound
  3. Another reason could be when the wire is damaged

There are many issues that lead to an extension lead being dangerous, these are just three

Learn about the safe use of socket extensions and what they’re not intended for

Go to Top