Microwave Ovens, for use in the workplace, require regular checks to ensure they’re performing as intended:
- That excessive emissions are not leaking out
- That the desired temperatures are being met
- That sufficient power is being produced
- That food is being cooked correctly
We charge a fixed rate of £10.00 per oven to carry out all the appropriate tests; if we’re not PAT testing the other appliances too there is a minimum charge of £45.00.
Excessive leakage can be a problem for staff; it can be of particular danger to expectant mothers.
Microwave leakage checks are carried out as part of the portable appliance testing routine.
According to a survey; 56% of microwave ovens used for more than 2 years can leak levels of radiation 10% higher than the safety standard of 5mW/cm² regulated by the FDA and EPA.
If you operate any kind of business where you use a microwave oven to heat food to give to paying guests, like a pub, hotel or restaurant then you need to be sure your microwaves are working correctly.
We provide enhanced Microwave Oven Testing that includes:
- Testing for micro-wave leakage, to comply with national standards on permitted exposure levels, to BS EN60335-2-25 and BS EN 60335-2-90, making sure that leakage should not exceed 5 mw/cm2 when measured at a distance of 50mm or more from the exterior of the appliance under test
- Assess microwave power and temperature rise using a measuring beaker and digital thermometer, over a 90 seconds period
- Check the door seals, edges of the door, the front window and any ventilation points
Microwave oven testing is done to comply with the following standards:
- BS EN60335-2-25: Safety of household and similar electrical appliances – domestic microwave ovens
- BS EN60335-2-90: Safety of household and similar electrical appliances – commercial microwave ovens
Contact us for a PAT testing quote for your commercial use kitchen