extension block with too many appliances plugged in

9 handy tips to avoid an electrical fire

Almost half of all domestic fires are caused by electricity; there were over 20,000 electrical fires in 2011; there are 70 deaths and 350 injuries every year as a result of electrical fires.

The most common causes of electrical fires are:

  • Faulty appliances
  • Misused appliances
  • Overheated appliances

Tips for Avoiding an Electrical Fire

  1. Ask your landlord for an electrical installation condition report if you live in a rented home
  2. Ensure your electrical supply meets the UK standard BS 7671
  3. Check sockets, plugs and flexible cables regularly for signs of wear and tear
  4. Check your electrical appliances are compatible with UK socket outlets
  5. Remember to unplug appliances that could overheat and cause a fire when not in use, such as hair straighteners, irons and portable radiators
  6. Don’t use cheaper ‘fake‘ versions of popular appliances, like phone chargers – they are an increased risk of overheating
  7. Don’t overload multi socket adaptors and extensions
  8. If you smell burning but can’t find a fire – call the Fire Brigade for help – it could mean an appliance is faulty and overheating – acting fast may help avoid further damage
  9. Get workplace equipment PAT tested to find any faults.