0191 666 1009
Email us
Contact us

Do you need an Electrical Safety Certificate for your rental property?

Do you need an electrical safety certificate quickly?

Do you need a Landlords’ Safety Certificate?

Do you rent out property to tenants?

Do you need appliances testing too?

Check out our Landlords PAT testing page for all the information you need around electrical safety in rental properties.

Do you need an Electrical Test Report carried out in Newcastle Upon Tyne?

Call us on 01916661009 to arrange your inspection
landlords pat testing - this picture shows us checking kitchen appliances are safe

Landlords Electrical Safety Certificate

A landlords electrical safety certificate will confirm whether or not the electrical installation in a property is safe and meets today’s legal requirements. It is now law in the UK for landlords to make sure electrical installations are safe. 

It is now law in the Uk for landlords to ensure the electrical wiring/installation in their residential premises is inspected and tested at intervals of no longer than 5 years by a qualified competent person. 

The landlord must provide a copy of the electrical safety report to their tenants, and to the local authority if requested. 

What does the law say?

The law in England changed in July 2020 for landlords of rental property.

Any new tenancies from 1st July 2020 requires a valid EICR, but if the property already has a tenant in then you have until April 2021 to complete an EICR

If you had an EICR carried out on the property prior to 2019; make sure that that report is valid with the current regulations.

Find the Electrical Safety Standards in the Private Rented Sector Regulations 2020 here.

Electrical Safety Report

This legal requirement now means that all landlords have to do what all good landlords have always done; make sure the electrical installations in their property is safe. 

Regulations came into force on 1st June 2020 and form part of the UK governments work to improve safety in all residential premises. 

For more information check out the Government guidance for landlords

About the inspection

The regulations require a landlord to have the electrical installation in their property inspected and tested by a competent person every 5 years, at least.  The report you get must be covered by a competent person scheme, such as the NICEIC. 

The ‘fixed’ electrical part of the property like the wiring, socket outlets, light fittings, and the consumer unit (fuse box) will be inspected, including permanently connected equipment such as showers and extractor fans. If you require appliances tested, you will need to get them PAT tested separately. 

What does the inspection involve?

The inspection will check to confirm if:

  • The electrical installation has been overloaded,
  • there are any potential electric shock risks or fire hazards
  • there is an defective electrical work
  • there is a lack of earthing or bonding

What should the report show?

The report should show that the installation is safe for continued use; if the report does not require further investigative or remedial work, the landlord will not be required to do anything more. 

However, if work is required, the inspector will use the following classification code to indicate where a landlord should undertake remedial work:

  • Code 1: Danger present, risk of injury. The inspector may make hazards safe before leaving
  • Code 2: Potenitally dangerous. 
  • Further investigation: Further investigation required
  • Code 3: Improvement recommended – further remedial work is recommended but is not required for the report to be deemed satisfactory. 

If codes 1 or 2 are identified, then remedial work is required; the report will show that the installation is unsatisfactory for continued use – be careful if you are choosing the cheapest bidder to do the work, as they tend to find so many code 1 or 2 defects the the total cost works out much higher; a higher initial cost usually means the defects found are genuine. 

If Further Investigation is recommended, the landlord must also get this done. 

What about the appliances?

These regulations don’t cover electrical appliances, however it is recommended that landlords carry out PAT testing regularly on any electrical equipment they provide for tenants to use and records the inspections that are carried out. 

Tenants are responsible for making sure their own equipment is safe. 

It is also recommended that electrical appliances are registered with a product registration scheme such as

What areas do we cover?

We provide electrical safety inspections for landlords in Newcastle Upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear and Northumberland. We will cover other areas if you have more than one property to test. 

How do you arrange your Landlords Electrical Certificate (EICR)?

That’s easy, just get in touch with us for a quote by using our electrical testing quote form or get more information on our PAT testing for Landlords page which includes up to date prices.

0191 666 1009
Email us
Contact us